Serious injury can arise in an instant and derail your life for the foreseeable future. If someone else is responsible for causing your injury, they could be on the hook for your losses.
If you or a loved one has been injured and believe that someone else is at fault, we can help you pursue damages. Speak with a Dolton personal injury lawyer with the Kryder Law Group, LLC today at (312) 223-1700 to discuss your case.
In This Article
Personal Injury Can Cover Many Different Accident Types
If you have been seriously injured and believe that someone else is at fault, you may be eligible to bring legal action. Common circumstances that lead to personal injury claims include:
- Dog bites
- Car accidents
- Pedestrian accidents
- Motorcycle accidents
- Bicycle accidents
- Slip and fall injuries
- Trip and fall injuries
- Defective products
- Medical malpractice
- Construction accidents
- Nursing home abuse or negligence
- Wrongful death
These are just a few of the many circumstances that may warrant bringing a personal injury claim. If you have been injured or a loved one was killed, call a Dolton personal injury lawyer today to explore your options for pursuing financial compensation. Call our team at the Kryder Law Group, LLC, today at (312) 223-1700 to discuss your case.
For a free legal consultation with a personal injury lawyer serving Dolton, call (312) 223-1700
What a Personal Injury Lawyer Will Do for You
A personal injury lawyer can leverage their experience and knowledge of the local courts when preparing and presenting your case. However, their greater value may be in their ability to shoulder the legal burden of pursuing financial damages so that you do not have to.
Our team will pursue damages vigorously by:
- Coming to you in your place of recovery to discuss how your injuries were caused, who you believe is at fault for your injuries or loved one’s death, and your options for pursuing damages.
- Initiating legal action as soon as possible to ensure you abide by any relevant statutes of limitation.
- Reviewing the scene of the accident and documenting any evidence that may be used at trial or in settlement negotiations.
- Collecting all previously existing evidence of the accident and/or the circumstances that caused it, including video, photographs, and police reports.
- Interviewing eyewitnesses to the accident and/or the circumstances that led to the accident, documenting their accounts for use at trial.
- Handling all correspondence with the defendant’s counsel to explore potential settlements.
- Shouldering all legal duties necessary to obtain a judgment or settlement.
- Ensuring that your rights are protected throughout the legal process.
One of our primary goals will be to prove that the defendant was liable in some way for your injuries.
Proving Liability in a Personal Injury Case
In Illinois, individuals have a duty not to expose others to an unreasonable risk of harm. Whether the defendant in your case is a motorist, business owner, municipality, or another party, we will aim to prove their liability for your injuries by:
- Establishing their duty of care.
Illinois state law dictates that most individuals have a duty not to expose others to an unreasonable risk of harm. This duty of care is the basis for proving negligence.
- Showing that the defendant breached their duty of care.
Actions that expose others to an unreasonable risk of harm generally qualify as a breach of duty of care.
- Proving that the breach of duty of care caused your injuries.
If a business owner failed to clean up a puddle that caused you to fall, or a motorist was tailgating and caused an accident in which you were injured, these are instances where negligence clearly caused the injury.
- Calculating and presenting a plea for damages.
At this stage, we will total the losses incurred from your injuries or loved one’s death and appeal to the court that the defendant should compensate you for your losses.
Our goal will be to show that the actions of the liable party caused or contributed to your injuries or your loved one’s death. If we are able to do this, you may be eligible to collect damages covering your losses.
Dolton Personal Injury Lawyer Near Me (312) 223-1700
Damages You May Be Entitled to in a Personal Injury Claim
Each personal injury claim is unique, and the damages you may be able to collect will hinge directly on the details of your case and how a jury or judge interprets those details. That said, some damages that are commonly awarded in successful personal injury claims may cover:
- Emergency transportation
- ER bills
- Hospital stays
- Costs from any long-term rehabilitation and transportation to these appointments
- Lost wages because of your injuries
- Diminished earning capacity because of your injuries
- Inability to pursue educational opportunities because of the accident
- Pain and suffering incurred by trauma from your accident
If you lost a loved one in an accident, you could be awarded additional damages covering:
- Medical care incurred from injuries to the deceased
- Funeral costs
- Loss of companionship (spouse)
- Loss of parental guidance (children)
- Loss of financial protection in the form of the deceased’s future wages
The circumstances of your case may entitle you to damages in addition to the ones listed here.
Do Not Wait to Call a Dolton Car Accident Lawyer
You may be limited by the state of Illinois’ statute of limitations if you plan to bring a personal injury or wrongful death claim. Each of these case types is generally restricted to being brought two years from the date of the accident, and no later.
However, there are exceptions to these statutes, and you should call a Dolton personal injury lawyer regardless of how much time has passed since you or your loved one’s accident. Call our team at the Kryder Law Group, LLC, today at (312) 223-1700 to discuss your case.