According to the Illinois Department of Transportation (IDOT), there were over 12,200 truck accidents in 2018, which resulted in over 2,500 reported injuries and fatalities. After a Calumet City truck accident, you may not know where to turn for help.
Collisions with trucks are different than those involving passenger vehicles since multiple parties can be found responsible for your injuries. For this reason, you may want to consider working with a Calumet City truck accident lawyer to pursue the compensation you need to move on.
If you or a loved one were injured in a truck accident, a lawyer can help you pursue any awards for which you may be entitled. Call our team at The Kryder Law Group, LLC today at (312) 223-1700 for a free consultation.
Driving a Truck Requires Special Care
There is a good reason why those who drive semi-trucks and other types of large vehicles require a commercial driver’s license (CDL) to do so legally. Driving a commercial truck requires a certain level of skill, and it also requires a special level of responsibility on the part of the driver.
The driver of a large truck must:
- Be able to maneuver the truck safely and effectively.
- Be able to stay awake and focused for long periods of driving in a variety of road conditions.
- Have the ability to recognize warning signs that a truck is not performing as it should and requires inspection and necessary repairs.
- Have a clean driving record.
- Abstain from drug use while driving, including the use of over-the-counter stimulants.
Truck drivers that do not adhere to these responsibilities become a danger to themselves and others.
When you work with a Calumet City truck accident lawyer from The Kryder Law Group, LLC, we can conduct an investigation that determines what action or behavior by the trucker caused your accident. We can do this by examining the driver’s logbook, speaking with their employer, or consulting third-party expert opinions. If we determine that the trucker acted negligently, and therefore caused your accident, we may be able to hold them liable for your damages.
The Responsibilities of Private and Public Trucking Companies
Those who oversee hiring and employee management for trucking entities have just as much responsibility to protect the public as the drivers themselves.
Among the steps that an employer can take to promote the safety of their employees and other motorists include:
- Instilling a clear set of guidelines for safe driving amongst the driver fleet.
- Conducting background checks of prospective employees’ driving records and criminal histories.
- Providing necessary training to ensure that drivers understand and adhere to appropriate conduct standards.
- Regularly inspecting trucks, implementing repairs regardless of the expense, and instructing drivers on how to spot potential safety hazards within their vehicle.
Collectively, these steps by truck drivers and their employers can help minimize the risk of causing a collision.
Call our team at The Kryder Law Group, LLC today at (312) 223-1700 to discuss your case and whether you are eligible to move forward with a civil action.
For a free legal consultation with a truck accidents lawyer serving Calumet City, call (312) 598-0739
A Lawyer Will Look for Negligence in Your Case
Negligence is the key term that generally determines whether somebody has grounds to bring a personal injury or wrongful death claim.
Negligence generally occurs when a motorist such as a truck driver:
- Fails to operate their vehicle in a safe, responsible manner.
- Injures you because of their careless or reckless actions.
A lawyer will analyze the details of your case, collect any available evidence, and determine the role negligence played in your accident. From there, they can begin the process of negotiating for a fair settlement on your behalf.
What a Calumet City Truck Accident Lawyer Can Do for You
You may consider your lawyer as the guide for your case, handling these legal aspects of your accident while you recover from your injuries.
A lawyer can handle the details of your claim, including:
- Reaching out to the involved insurance companies to negotiate for a fair settlement.
- Collecting evidence to assign liability to whatever individual or entity was responsible for your losses.
- Determining a course of action that promotes financial recovery.
- Corresponding with the legal counsel for the responsible party (or parties).
- Representing you in court, if we cannot reach a settlement agreement.
According to the Illinois General Assembly, you have two years from the date of your accident or your loved one’s passing to move forward with recovering compensation. With this element in mind, you may not have a long time to act. We suggest speaking with a legal professional as soon as you are able to begin the process of pursuing compensation from the negligent party.
The Kryder Law Group, LLC Works on a Contingency Basis
Our team understands that following an accident, you are likely burdened with medical bills, lost wages, and other financial stressors. For this reason, The Kryder Law Group, LLC works on contingency. What this means for our clients is that we do not request payment for our rendered services until the successful conclusion of your case, and from there, we take our fees out of the compensation we get for you.
Your case is just as important to us as it is to you. If we cannot successfully represent your interests, whether that be in or out of court, then we do not get paid, and you owe us nothing.
Calumet City Truck Accidents Lawyer Near Me (312) 598-0739
Call Our Team at The Kryder Law Group, LLC Today
If you or a loved one suffered injuries in a truck accident, you should not have to pay for accident-related expenses out of pocket. The Kryder Law Group, LLC can serve as your legal advocate while also building a case that promotes your best interests.
Call our team today at (312) 223-1700 to speak about your case at no cost.