The Kryder Law Group has helped residents of Calumet City for decades. Our firm handles car, truck and motorcycle accidents for those injured in Calumet City, Illinois. We also handle workers’ compensation claims, premises liability claims, medical malpractice and all types of personal injury claims.
Learn more about Calumet City, Illinois in our local guide including information about:
Calumet City, Illinois at a Glance
Where it’s located: Calumet City is about 24 miles away from Chicago, IL
Founding Date: 1893
Population: 36, 551 (2019)
- Ladon Cox, drafted to the Cincinnati Bengals (July 28th, 2011)
- John Jurkovic, defensive lineman for various NFL teams & radio host for ESPN 1000
- Mirko Jurkovic, former offensive guard for the Chicago Bears, All American at The University of Notre Dame
- Mike Tomczack, quarterback for various NFL teams, 1985 Chicago Bears Superbowl Champions
- Steve Wojciechowski, former pitcher for the Oakland Athletics
Calumet City, also known as ‘Cal City,’ was founded in 1893 when two villages merged together under the name of West Hammond. After citizens voted to change the name in 1923, West Hammond officially became Calumet City in 1924. Located within Cook County, IL, Calumet City has a population of 35,551 as of 2019. It also is boarded by Burnham and Chicago to the north, Lansing to the south, and South Holland and Dolton to the west.
Interstate 94, which passes along the southern and western borders, is one of the most frequently traveled interstates in the nation, bringing the community into the view of more than 400,000 travelers daily. A notable and ‘famous’ landmark of Cal City is a pair of water towers painted with smiley faces located along I-94 on Ring Road. These towers are known as the Smiley Towers and have been featured in various popular culture things such as being filmed in Natural Born Killers (1994), mentioned in Blues Brothers, and much more.
Calumet City Local Resources
Calumet City Police Department
Address: 1200 Pulaski Road, Calumet City, Illinois 60409
Phone Number: (708) 868-2500
The Calumet City Police Department’s mission is ‘for every member of the Calumet City Police Department to constantly seek and find ways to affirmatively promote, preserve and deliver a feeling of security, safety and quality of service to every member of our community while honoring the Constitutional and Civil Rights of all people.’
Calumet City Fire Department
Address: 684 Wentworth Avenue, Calumet City, IL 60409
Phone Number: (708) 891-8145
The Calumet City Fire Department is composed of 50 career fire personnel including the Fire Chief, Deputy Fire Chief, six Captains, three Lieutenants, nine Engineers and 30 Firefighter. Many of the members are also paramedics, participating in specialty rescue teams including, Hazardous Materials, Technical Rescue, and Dive Teams.
Calumet City Hall
Address: 204 Pulaski Rd, Calumet City, IL 60409
Phone Number: (704) 891-8100
Calumet City Public Library
Address: 660 Manistee Ave. Calumet City, IL 60409
Phone Number: (708) 862-6220
The Calumet City public library is open Monday through Friday, offering various services to local and non-local residents. It is located across the Calumet City Police and Fire Department.
Calumet City Chamber of Commerce
Address: P.O. Box 2406, Calumet City, IL 60409
Phone Number: 708-891-5888
Local Businesses & Restaurants in Calumet City
Below is a list of attractions, restaurants, and things to do in the surrounding area:
- Sand Ridge Nature Center
- Address: 15891 Paxton Ave South Holland, IL 60473
- Sand Ridge Nature Center features exhibits on the natural and cultural history of the Calumet region. Visitors will find live native animal displays, hands-on activities and colorful butterfly and interpretive gardens.
- Calumet Memorial Park District
- The Calumet Memorial Park District was created in 1922 as a special unit of local government when a group of citizens envisioned the establishment of a park and recreation system to serve area residents.
- Memorial Recreation Center
- Address: 612 Wentworth Avenue, Calumet City, IL
- Burnham Greenway
- Over 2.5 miles long, the bike path begins at State St and travels south all the way to the Little Calumet River. Whether running, biking or rollerblading, you will enjoy the pristine surroundings, including some of the most diverse prairie and wetland vegetation in northern Illinois.
- Calumet City Historical Society and Museum
- 760 Wentworth Avenue, Calumet City, IL 60409
- The Well at the Distillery
- Address: 400 E Margaret St Thornton, IL 60476
- Enjoy a cocktail, draft beer, or tasty food, or all of the above!
- Blueberry Field Pancake House and Restaurant
- Address: 558 E 162nd St South Holland, IL 60473
- Breakfast & Brunch
- A family owned restaurant well-known for their delicious and healthy breakfast combinations, lunch specials, and catering!
- Athena’s Family Restaurant
- Address: 580 Burnham Ave, Calumet City, IL 60409
- Cocula Restaurant Calumet City
- Address: 645 Torrence Ave, Calumet City, IL 60409
- In 1975, we began Cocula restaurant with simple loves for both regional Mexican food and music. The first Cocula restaurant opened its doors on the corner of Cermak and California with a small kitchen and eight dining tables. Today, we are proud to have grown to serve the Chicagoland area in six different locations. The name Cocula comes from the name of a small town in the Mexican state of Jalisco. If there is one place that can be considered quintessentially Mexican, it’s Jalisco.
Local Education in Calumet City
There are about 51 colleges in the area, including 37 private colleges and universities, 5 public colleges and universities, and 9 community colleges offering 2-year degrees. Below are some notable ones near Calumet City.
Private Colleges / Universities
Saint Xavier University
University of Chicago
Illinois Institute of Technology
Public Colleges / Universities
Chicago State University
University of Illinois at Chicago<
NorthEastern Illinois University
South Suburban College
Moraine Valley Community College
Local Crime and Accident Rates
The crime rate in Calumet City is considerably higher than the national average across all communities in America from the largest to the smallest, although at 34 crimes per one thousand residents, it is not among the communities with the very highest crime rate. The chance of becoming a victim of either violent or property crime in Calumet City is 1 in 29. The Crime Index rating for Calumet City is 11 out of 100, 100 being the safest. Therefore Calumet City is safer than 11% of U.S. cities.
For public transportation, the Pace Bus provides public transportation with various routes.
Kryder Law Scholarships
College bound residents of Calumet City are invited to apply for the Kryder Law Group local scholarship. The legal team and staff at The Kryder Law Group, LLC are deeply committed to serving their communities. One way they fulfill this drive for service is by offering scholarships to college-bound students. Kryder Law would like to hear from a diverse group of applicants. It does not matter if you have just been accepted to college or if you are midway through your higher education. Topics change throughout the year, as well as the criteria and application materials, therefore make sure if interested in applying to the Kryder Law Group local scholarship, check on the website for updated information.
Why Residents of Calumet City, Illinois Have Chosen The Kryder Law Group to Handle Their Personal Injury Cases
The Kryder Law Group is a personal injury law firm servicing Calumet City, Illinois and surrounding areas. Each personal injury lawyer at the Kryder Law Group has years of experience and has handled hundreds of accident claims. Each injury attorney has handled Calumet City car, truck, bus and motorcycle accidents in the Calumet City, Illinois area. In addition, the injury lawyers at the Kryder Law Group have handled Calumet City work injuries, Calumet City dog bite injuries, Calumet City construction injuries, Calumet City slip and falls, Calumet City nursing home neglect cases and many other types of injury claims for residents of Calumet City, Illinois and surrounding neighborhoods. You can be confident each injury lawyer at the Kryder Law Group has the experience to handle your personal injury case and maximize the value of your personal injury settlement or jury verdict.
Hear from Personal Injury Attorney Andrew Kryder
Cases Handled by The Kryder Law Group for Residents of Calumet City, Illinois
If you have been injured in Calumet City, Illinois you need an experienced Injury Lawyer. The Kryder Law Group can handle the following types of cases if you live in Calumet City, Illinois:
- Calumet City Auto Accidents
- Calumet City Bus Accidents
- Truck accidents in Calumet City
- Slip and Falls at Calumet City stores or on property
- Work Injuries that occur at Calumet City businesses
- Commercial vehicle accidents that might happen in Calumet City with deliver trucks, Uber, Lyft, UPS, Fed Ex and Amazon
- Construction Accidents that occur at Calumet City, Illinois construction sites
- Vicious Animal Attacks that happen in Calumet City, Illinois
- Wrongful Death
- Medical Malpractice, Birth Injuries, Failure to diagnose that happen at Calumet City hospitals
Questions to Consider When Hiring a Calumet City Personal Injury Lawyer for Your Injury Claim
Is it worth hiring a Calumet City personal injury attorney for my personal injury claim?
If you have a serious injury, a Calumet City injury lawyer can help you maximize your recovery. An experienced lawyer, like those at the Kryder Law Group, know the value of your case and how to make an insurance company pay the maximum compensations for your pain and suffering. A personal injury lawyer can also help you recover lost wages and other compensation you may be entitled to.
How much is my Calumet City, Illinois injury claim worth?
Every case is different, but you may be entitled to lost wages, medical bills, future medical bills, disability, loss of a normal life compensation, money for pain and suffering. The personal injury lawyers at the Kryder Law Group can evaluate your case for free. See what you get in your free Calumet City personal injury evaluation below.
If I am injured in Calumet City, Illinois, How long will it take to settle my personal injury claim?
Some cases can be resolved quickly after your medical treatment has concluded. However, in other instances cases can take longer if the injury causes permanent disability. If you live in Calumet City, Illinois and would like to discuss your case call the Kryder Law Group for a free analysis of your case.
If I speak to a lawyer, what is included in My Free Personal Injury Consultation?
We offer free legal advice to people who live in Calumet City, Illinois. We like to understand the goals and expectations of every client before we begin. That is why the Kryder Law Group provides a free personal injury consultation to every client. If you live in Calumet City, Illinois we will provide a free legal consultation.
Here is what you will get in your free legal consultation:
- We will evaluate the strength or weakness of your case.
- We will identify all points of compensation you are entitled to.
- We will evaluate the existence of available insurance.
- We will discuss your injury and whether specialists are needed.
- We will evaluate whether expert testimony is needed for your case.
- We will listen to you and answer any questions you may have.
If you reside in Calumet City, Illinois the Kryder Law Group will provide you with a free evaluation. Just call our office and tell us about your case. There is no fee, unless we win. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain.