A Calumet City car accident lawyer from the Kryder Law Group, LLC can help if you got hurt in a collision in Calumet City. We perform a thorough investigation of every car accident claim that we handle, gather the evidence to build your case, and negotiate directly with the insurance company so that you do not have to do so.
Call us today at (312) 223-1700 for a free case evaluation. There is no obligation. Our clients can focus on getting better because they know that we are taking care of their injury cases.
Auto insurance companies have hundreds or thousands of employees whose job it is to deny your claim or pay you as little money as possible. You do not have to go through this process alone. We work hard to get our clients the compensation they need to rebuild their lives.
Damages for a Calumet City Car Accident
Because every case is different, we cannot state a number that represents the amount of compensation you will likely recover for your losses. We have to investigate your situation, collect the evidence, and then calculate a fair amount for your money damages.
Here are some of the categories of compensation we have won for our clients:
- Medical expenses. This item can include things like the ambulance, emergency room, hospital, surgery, doctors, diagnostic imaging such as x-rays and MRIs, laboratory testing, blood transfusions, skin grafts, prescription drugs, and physical therapy.
- Rehabilitation center. When a person sustains devastating harm, like severe head trauma, he might have to undergo treatment at a specialized facility for weeks or months.
- Other medical expenses. Some injuries leave the victim in need of mobility equipment, like wheelchairs and prosthetic limbs. You might need home modifications, like ramps, widened hallways, lowered countertops, bathroom support bars, and lift equipment. Some people need adapted vehicles because of the injuries they sustained in a significant collision.
- Long-term care. If you suffered catastrophic injuries, like spinal cord damage, you might need daily assistance with medical treatments and personal care. These expenses can become astronomical.
- Lost wages. People often miss work because of a car accident. If you could not work while you were recuperating and you did not get paid, we can go after the income you lost. This category can include things like missed wages, salary, self- employment, and other regular income.
- Decreased earning capacity. If you can no longer make as much money as before because of your injuries, you might be able to go after the difference.
- Intangible losses are those items that are challenging to measure in dollars because they do not come with invoices or receipts. Some intangible losses include pain and suffering, disfigurement, loss of enjoyment of life, and post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).
The amount of damages you can pursue will depend on the facts of your case. You might be eligible for several types of damages.
What to Do After a Calumet City Car Accident
The things that you do after a car accident can have an impact on your right to compensation. You should always do what makes sense in your circumstances. Here are a few suggestions of actions that could protect your health and well-being, as well as the value of your injury claim:
- Call law enforcement. You need to have an officer come to the scene of the crash to create a report of what happened. The officer will usually decide who is the at-fault driver. The police report will serve as vital evidence in your accident claim. You should not leave the scene of an accident illegally.
- Get medical attention. Protect your health by getting professional medical treatment right away. The trauma specialists in the emergency room can start to work on your injuries, and possibly discover hidden harm that had not yet shown symptoms. We will use your medical records to tie your injuries to the crash.
- Talk to a Calumet City car accident lawyer. You only have a short time under 735 ILCS 5/13- 202 to pursue a claim for money damages after a collision. If you wait too long, you can lose the right to compensation for your losses. Also, a lawyer can help you to avoid some of the common tricks that insurance companies use to deny valid claims or pay you less than you deserve.
You might need to take additional measures, depending on your situation.
Traps to Avoid After a Car Accident
One of the ways that insurance companies make a profit is by paying as little as possible to injured people. Here are a few of the strategies that insurers use to accomplish this goal:
- Settling cases too early. You do not know if you are going to need additional treatment like operations or if you are going to face a lifetime of residual problems from your injuries until you complete all of your prescribed medical treatment. Once you settle your claim, the insurance will not pay you more money. Health insurance policies typically exclude coverage for motor vehicle accidents, so you might have to pay for additional treatment out of your pocket.
- Lowball offers. Unless you work in the field, you probably do not know what amount is a fair settlement of your injury claim. Many people jump at the first offer the insurance adjuster makes, only to find out later that they should have gotten much more money. We can calculate the value of your injury claim.
- Recorded or written statements. The adjuster will likely contact you and ask for a recorded or written statement. He might say that the purpose is for you to tell your side of the story, but do not fall for that. These statements are for the benefit of the insurer, not you. The adjuster can twist your words into something you did not intend to devalue or deny your injury claim. Tell the adjuster to talk to your lawyer.
These are but a few examples of the tactics that insurance companies can use against you. Protect yourself by working with a lawyer from the beginning. According to the Illinois Department of Transportation, there were over 300,000 crashes in 2017 in the state. If you are one of the many who have suffered in this way, do not hesitate to reach out.
Call a Calumet City car accident lawyer from the Kryder Law Group, LLC today for a free consultation. There is no obligation. Call (312) 223-1700 to get started.