If you have suffered a severe injury in a construction accident in Oak Lawn, rest assured that you are not alone. At The Kryder Law Group, LLC Accident and Injury Lawyers, our experienced personal injury attorneys are experienced in construction accident cases and are fully committed to protecting your rights and guiding you through this challenging time.
The construction accident attorneys in our law firm represent victims in Cook County and throughout Illinois, tirelessly working toward securing the maximum financial recovery for their injuries.
Common Types of Construction Accidents in Oak Lawn
According to the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), the “Fatal Four” of construction injuries includes:
- Falls: account for the highest percentage of fatal injuries in construction, can happen from ladders, roofs, scaffolding, or any elevated work area.
- Struck By Object: Workers can be seriously injured or killed by flying, falling, swinging, or rolling objects.
- Electrocutions: These occur when workers come into contact with live electrical wires or equipment.
- Caught-In/Between: These accidents occur when workers are trapped, compressed, or struck by equipment or objects, or when they are crushed by collapsing structures, equipment, or materials.
- Trench Collapses: Trenches can collapse unexpectedly, trapping workers underneath debris or soil.
Common Types of Injuries from Construction Site Accidents
Personal injury cases involving construction site accidents can result in a wide range of injuries, some of which include:
- Traumatic Brain Injuries (TBI): These injuries result from falls, being struck by objects, or accidents where someone is caught in/between. They can cause lifelong cognitive impairment, physical disability, and emotional distress.
- Spinal Cord Injuries (SCI): Frequently caused by falls, these injuries can result in paralysis, affecting mobility and quality of life.
- Electrical Burns and Shocks: When workers encounter live wires or faulty equipment, they risk severe burns or electrocution, which can be fatal.
- Broken Bones and Fractures: Workers may experience bone fractures from falls or being by objects, leading to long recovery periods and potential permanent disability.
- Amputations: Amputations can occur when workers are caught in machinery or heavy equipment. Losing a limb can greatly affect a victim’s ability to work and quality of life.
Who May Be at Blame for an Oak Lawn Construction Accident?
Depending on the specifics of the personal injury case, a number of parties involved may be held liable for resulting injuries and damages. These include employers, property owners, a general contractor, sub-contractors, or equipment manufacturers.
A highly experienced Oak Lawn personal injury lawyer can help investigate who is at fault and determine what forms of compensation their clients may be entitled to receive.
What to Do After a Serious Injury on a Construction Site in Oak Lawn, IL
- Seek Immediate Medical Attention: Ensure your injuries are properly treated.
- Report the Incident: Notify your employer or site manager as soon as possible.
- Document Everything: Preserve evidence and keep a record of the incident and its aftermath.
- Identify Witnesses: Gather contact information of anyone who saw the accident.
- Contact a Personal Injury Lawyer: Consult with an experienced personal injury lawyer well-acquainted with construction accidents.
What NOT to Do After an Oak Lawn Personal Injury
- Avoid Signing Anything: Do not make any written statements without legal counsel.
- Do Not Discuss the Incident: Avoid discussing details with anyone, except your lawyer.
- Do Not Accept Quick Settlements: Consult your lawyer before accepting any offer.
- Do Not Post on Social Media: Refrain from posting anything related to the incident.
Do I Need a Lawyer for a Construction Injury Claim?
Yes, hiring a personal injury attorney can significantly benefit a construction worker who has been injured on the job. An experienced attorney in personal injury case can:
Evaluate Your Case
They can determine the strength of your case, estimate the potential compensation you may be entitled to, and counsel you on the best course of action.
Navigate the Legal System
Legal processes can be complex and overwhelming. A skilled attorney will guide you through these procedures, ensuring all necessary steps are taken and deadlines are met.
Collect And Analyze Evidence
To build a strong case, a lawyer can help gather necessary evidence, conduct thorough investigations, and use their experience to interpret and present this information effectively.
Negotiate With the Insurance Company
Insurance companies often aim to minimize payout amounts. An attorney works on your behalf, negotiating for the full compensation you deserve.
Represent You in Court
If it is necessary to take your claim to court, your attorney will represent you, advocating for your interests and legal rights.
What is the Difference Between a Third-Party Lawsuit and Workers’ Compensation in Illinois?
In Illinois, the Illinois Workers’ Compensation Act governs employee compensation for workplace injuries. This Act ensures that injured workers receive benefits, including medical care, lost wages, disability, and vocational rehabilitation services if needed. It is a no-fault system, meaning an injured employee doesn’t need to prove employer negligence to receive benefits.
A third-party lawsuit is a civil case against someone other than your employer who may be responsible for your injuries. Under personal injury law, it can obtain additional compensation, such as non-economic damages like pain and suffering, that workers’ comp cannot provide. This lawsuit requires evidence of another person’s negligence or recklessness.
Types of Compensation for a Construction Accident Victim
Construction accident victims in Oak Lawn may recover compensation of various types. These include covering medical bills for treatment and rehabilitation, lost wages due to missed work, and compensation for pain and suffering. In tragic cases where accidents result in death, construction workers’ families may pursue wrongful death cases.
What Is My Case Worth?
The worth of a construction accident claim hinges primarily on three key factors.
First, the extent and severity of the injuries sustained plays a significant role. This determines the cost of medical attention, rehabilitation, and any long-term care that may be needed.
Second, the impact on the victim’s ability to work, including possible loss of income and future earning potential, is considered.
Finally, the level of pain and suffering caused by someone else’s negligence is factored in. This non-economic damage to personal injury victims is often difficult to quantify, but it significantly influences the overall compensation amount.
How Long Do I Have to File a Personal Injury Claim in Illinois?
Under Illinois state law, you have two years from the date of the accident to file a lawsuit against the responsible party.
Contact an Oak Lawn Construction Accident Lawyer Today
Don’t let a construction accident in Oak Lawn leave you burdened with medical bills and lost wages. Contact The Kryder Law Group, LLC Accident and Injury Lawyers today for a free consultation with a construction accident lawyer. Our experienced attorneys will work tirelessly to ensure you receive the compensation you deserve. Plus, our payment structure ensures you pay nothing until we win your case.
Don’t wait, time is of the essence in these matters. Let us shoulder the legal system burden while you focus on your recovery.