Being in an accident can be jarring, and finding out that the motorist who caused your accident is not insured could leave your mind racing with unpleasant concerns. Whether you are ultimately covered by insurance or need to pursue other measures (such as a lawsuit), a Chicago uninsured motorist accident lawyer can help you with the nuances of your case. A lawyer may have prior experience with the claims or legal processes for uninsured motorist accidents, and may not charge you anything out of pocket for their services.
Call the Kryder Law Group, LLC today at (312) 223-1700 for details about how our team will assist you or a loved one after an accident with an uninsured motorist.
In This Article
Understanding Uninsured Motorist Coverage
The Office of the Illinois Secretary of State explains the minimum insurance requirements that all drivers in the state must abide by. Required insurance for motorists includes:
- $20,000 for property damage to another person’s vehicle
- $25,000 for injury or death to another person
- $50,000 for injury or death to two other people
A motorist who does not have insurance cannot cover their own losses or the losses of any party they harm. As explained by the Illinois Department of Insurance (IDOI) (Auto Insurance Shopping Guide), the state accounts for the presence of uninsured motorists by requiring you to have uninsured motorist coverage.
Per this requirement, you must have:
- $25,000 in coverage for bodily injury coverage per person for accidents caused by an uninsured motorist
- $50,000 in bodily injury coverage per accident for accidents caused by an uninsured motorist
You must also have Underinsured Motorist Bodily Injury Insurance (UIM), which may help in instances where the at-fault driver has some form of insurance that is not sufficient to cover your losses.
Even if you have uninsured motorist insurance as required by law, you are not guaranteed to receive the compensation that you deserve after your accident. A lawyer can help you with your claim to ensure that your rights are respected.
How a Lawyer Can Help with an Insurance Claim
You may know that the insurance claims process does not always go smoothly, and in fact, could be quite a headache. It may be especially stressful if you are dealing with a serious injury, are helping a loved one who has been injured, or are coping with the loss of a loved one after an accident.
A lawyer can handle as much of your claim as possible. This means that they may:
- Advise you on how to (or how not to) interact with insurance companies after your accident
- Familiarize themselves with your insurance policy
- Gather details on the person who is responsible for your accident, as well as their insurance status
- Determine whether insurance should be sufficient to cover your accident-related losses
- File your claim
- Handle the administrative aspects of the claims process
- Negotiate settlements with the insurance companies
- Advise you on the next steps to take, if no fair settlement seems possible
In certain cases, it may be appropriate—necessary, even—to sue the uninsured motorist responsible for your accident. Your lawyer can handle the legal process while you tend to your recovery.
Call the Kryder Law Group, LLC today at (312) 223-1700 for more details about the services of a Chicago uninsured motorist accident lawyer.
For a free legal consultation with a uninsured motorist accidents lawyer serving Chicago, call (312) 223-1700
Your Lawyer May Have Experience with Uninsured Drivers
The Insurance Information Institute (III) notes that nearly 14% of drivers in Illinois are without insurance, as of 2015. This means that, out of every 50 motorists on the road, approximately 7 may be without proper insurance. In other words, accidents involving uninsured motorists may be more common than you realized.
As a consequence, you may not have trouble finding a lawyer who has prior experience handling uninsured motorist-related insurance claims and lawsuits. Such a lawyer could be aware of the laws, statutes, and practices that apply to accidents involving uninsured motorists, and may use their knowledge in your favor.
How a Lawyer Will Fight for Your Rights
Victims of any sort of wrongdoing have the right to pursue justice. You may seek financial justice for your accident through an insurance claim, or by filing a lawsuit in civil court. If a lawsuit proves necessary, your lawyer will handle the legal process from start to finish.
Some of the duties that your lawyer may perform in service of your lawsuit include:
- Gathering and organizing evidence related to your accident
- Documenting your injuries
- Assigning a value to your injuries and other accident-related losses
- Interviewing witnesses
- Hiring experts
- Forming the case, in written and oral form, that you are the victim of negligence or another type of legally-recognized wrongdoing
- Filing your lawsuit
- Making any appearances necessary to advance your suit
- Negotiating a settlement based on the value of your losses
- Completing a trial if it proves necessary
A settlement may be your lawyer’s primary goal, but they will be prepared to go to trial if a settlement does not appear possible. If your lawyer obtains compensation for you, then your covered losses may include:
- Healthcare costs from accident-related injuries
- The cost of rehabilitation for physical injuries
- Pain and suffering
- The cost of treatment for psychological trauma, which may include therapy and medication
- Lost income caused by physical, psychological, or emotional injury
- Damage to your vehicle
Your lawyer will seek compensation for any losses caused by the actions of defendants in your lawsuit.
Chicago Uninsured Motorist Accident Lawyer Near Me (312) 223-1700
Call the Kryder Law Group, LLC Today
Motor vehicle collisions can take a serious toll, and the effects of your accident could linger for the foreseeable future. Your lawyer will seek fair compensation for losses you have suffered because of negligence or intentional wrongdoing, regardless of an at-fault party’s insurance status.
Call the Kryder Law Group, LLC today at (312) 223-1700 for a free consultation with the team for a Chicago uninsured motorist accident lawyer.