Rear-end collisions were the most common form of motor vehicle accidents in Illinois in 2018, according to the Illinois Department of Transportation. If you were involved in a rear-end collision in Joliet, then the person who rear-ended you could be found at fault for injuries, financial expenses, and other losses that may have resulted from your accident.
If you or your loved one was injured, a Joliet rear-end collisions lawyer may be able to assist you in bringing legal action. Call our team at The Kryder Law Group, LLC, today at (312) 223-1700 for a free consultation.
A Rear-Ending Driver May Be at Fault for an Accident
Though there are some exceptions, a rear-ending driver may be assumed to be at fault (either completely or partially) when a rear-end collision occurs. This may be the case if:
- Your vehicle was stationary at the time that the collision occurred.
- You did not stop abruptly or act in any other way that may be viewed as the cause of the collision.
- The other driver was traveling dangerously close behind your vehicle.
- The other driver was engaged in some activity or behavior that increased the risk of a collision occurring.
Because Illinois employs a policy of contributory fault (735 ILCS 5/2-1116), you could be entitled to collect awards even if you are partially responsible for the accident. Such a statute assigns a percentage of blame to each party involved in a collision, and you could be found to be less at fault for the collision than the other party.
Possible Causes of a Rear-End Collision
When the front of one vehicle collides with the rear-end of the other, several possible factors may have contributed to the accident. Part of any legal action that you choose to bring will be determining the factors that contributed to your accident. Some of the possible causes of a rear-end collision could be:
- Too little distance between vehicles, which means the rear-ending vehicle could not brake in time to prevent colliding.
- Dangerous conditions, such as a wet or icy road.
- Texting while driving.
- Monitoring social media or using a mobile device for purposes that require one to take their eyes from the road.
- Engaging in behaviors that have a motorist take one or more hands off the wheel.
A driver who is about to be rear-ended may not be able to maneuver out of the way once they realize a vehicle is encroaching on them at an unsafe speed. This is why the rear-ending driver may be assumed to be at fault for the collision. If you were in a vehicle that was struck from the rear-end, you may be able to bring legal action to recover losses that insurance does or did not sufficiently cover.
Call our team at The Kryder Law Group, LLC, today at (312) 223-1700 for a free consultation regarding your eligibility for a lawsuit.
How a Joliet Rear-End Collisions Lawyer May Help
If you or a loved one was seriously injured or killed in a rear-end collision, you have the option of accepting help from a lawyer. A Joliet rear-end collisions lawyer may:
- Conduct a free consultation in which they may answer questions that you have and provide insight into your qualifications for bringing a lawsuit.
- Help you determine fault for your accident, as you may determine that it is more than one person.
- Initiate your lawsuit by filing the necessary paperwork in the appropriate court.
Once your case is filed (and possibly before), your lawyer may complete several essential tasks. These tasks may include:
- Collecting evidence pertaining to your accident, such as photographs of property damage, videos of the accident, police reports, and witness testimony about the accident.
- Obtaining documentation of the injuries that you or your loved one sustained as a result of the rear-end collision.
- Building a case on how the defendant(s) acted negligently, and how that negligence contributed to your accident.
- Calculating the damages you have suffered as a result of the defendant’s negligence.
- Exploring settlement options.
- Handling all legal requirements to complete your case, whether the conclusion is a settlement or judgement.
- Defending your rights.
The ultimate goal of your lawyer will be to prove the negligence of the defendants in your case. In doing so, they hope to provide you with the opportunity to collect compensation that you are entitled to.
Possible Compensation From a Successful Rear-End Collision Lawsuit
Possible awards in your case will depend on the losses you have sustained from your rear-end collision. Such losses may include the cost of:
- Emergency transportation and care.
- Non-emergency medical care.
- Income that you have not collected because of your injuries.
- Permanent health issues, such as a disability, sustained in the accident.
- Rehabilitation for any temporary or permanent health problems stemming from the accident.
- Pain and suffering endured during and after the rear-end collision.
You could be able to collect additional awards if a settlement or judgement dictates.
Call Our Team at The Kryder Law Group, LLC, Today
If you were rear-ended and insurance is not enough to cover your losses, we want to speak with you about your qualifications to bring a personal injury lawsuit. Call our team at The Kryder Law Group, LLC, today at (312) 223-1700 for a free consultation.