Losing a loved one is a tragic event, especially when the loss was preventable. Under Illinois law, the family of a victim may be entitled to recover compensation from the person, doctor, hospital, or company responsible for the victim’s death.
A wrongful death case in Chicago may arise from a number of situations, including a fatal automobile or trucking accident, work injury, medical malpractice, nursing home neglect, or any other negligent conduct that results in the death of another person. We can help you understand how to move forward and handle your entire case for you.
How Do You Know if You Have a Wrongful Death Case?
Wrongful death refers to a situation where someone’s fatal injury was caused by another person—either intentionally or unintentionally. You may have a case if you can prove that someone’s negligence or act of violence led to your loved one’s passing.
If you seek representation from our Chicago wrongful death lawyers, we will work to prove the following elements of negligence in your case:
Duty of Care
Someone owed your loved one a duty to act reasonably, responsibly, and safely. If they were in a vehicle, this means the other party should have obeyed the rules of the road; if the other party was a subcontractor managing a construction site, this means they should have offered safe equipment and other safety measures.
Breach of Duty of Care
The negligent party took some action (or inaction) that neglected their duty of care. On the road, this could mean speeding, drunk driving, or improper maneuvers. In an accident at a worksite, this could mean that work equipment was improperly maintained or manufactured.
We will have to prove that the other party’s negligence directly caused your loved one’s accident and injuries. If the other party claims that your loved one was responsible for their own injury or there was some other cause, we will work to counter those claims with evidence.
Evidence will also be needed to show that your loved one’s passing has caused you financial and/or non-financial losses.
All of this can be challenging to handle if you are grieving a loss. You don’t have to interact with the evidence of your loved one’s wrongful death case and navigate any potential disputes to your claim. We will take care of all these legal details for you.
For a free legal consultation with a wrongful death lawyer serving Chicago, call (312) 598-0739
What Are the Steps Involved in a Wrongful Death Case?
Our team will typically begin your case as an insurance claim. Then, we could proceed with a lawsuit if necessary. This process typically involves the following:
- Gathering evidence of your losses and liability. We will build compelling evidence to show who was liable for your loved one’s passing—and that they owe you full, fair compensation that reflects the extent of your losses.
- Calculating the value of your case. The losses involved in a wrongful death case can be substantial. We will thoroughly assess how the death of your loved one has affected your finances and your life. We can then make our demand to an insurance company.
- Negotiating with an insurance company. Going back and forth with the liable party’s representatives could produce fair compensation—or we may need to file a lawsuit to seek the damages you deserve.
- Taking your case to court, if needed. We won’t hesitate to prepare your case for court trial if an insurer can’t agree to a settlement offer. We will represent your best interests and prepare you for this stage of the process.
Pursuing an insurance claim may be a faster route, and you may not wish to proceed with a court case under the circumstances of a loved one’s death. We can advise you on how to move forward based on your own preferences and best interests. Even though we will be handling the negotiations for you, it is your right to determine when in the process you would like to accept a settlement offer.
Chicago Wrongful Death Lawyer Near Me (312) 598-0739
What Forms of Compensation Can You Recover?
If you are a close surviving family member, such as a spouse, you could seek compensation for both the clear financial losses you are now facing and the more intangible losses that reflect your grief.
We could pursue recovery for damages such as:
- Medical care needed by your loved one
- Funeral and burial costs
- Mental anguish
- Loss of companionship
When you work with one of our Chicago wrongful death lawyers, we can tell you more about what damages you qualify to seek. Calculating the value of a wrongful death case can be especially complicated, but we have the experience to identify what fair compensation looks like in these cases.
What Can the Kryder Law Group, LLC Do for You?
Our team can handle every aspect of your case. From proving negligence to negotiations, we will take care of your case while you deal with other more important matters.
Our team is proud to offer the following services in addition to those described above:
- Free case review: This free call can help you understand your legal options and how we will go about representing your case.
- A face-to-face meeting with an attorney within 48 hours: After you inquire about a meeting with one of our lawyers, you can expect to speak to someone shortly.
- Regular updates and communication. We take pride in our responsiveness to our clients and will keep you updated through every step of your case.
- Representation with no upfront fees. Because we work based on contingency fees, you do not owe us anything unless and until we win your case. You don’t have to worry about how you will afford legal help when you work with our team.
There is no financial risk to get started. Take advantage of your free case review and learn how we can help you today.
Past Results for Our Clients
We also want our potential clients to know that they are choosing a team that has a track record of successful results. In one situation, we won $3 million on behalf of a family facing the loss of a loved one hit by a garbage truck. In another case, we won $7.5 million in a construction site injury case, which was at the time the highest award for an accident of this type in DuPage County.
We will work hard to seek every available dollar in your case.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
The Statute of Limitations Restricts the Amount of Time You Have to File a Lawsuit
We know that it can be challenging to move forward with any injury case, let alone a situation where you are grieving a loss. However, keep in mind that your legal options are not available indefinitely. In Illinois, the statute of limitations for filing a wrongful death lawsuit is typically two years, although there are some exceptions, per 740 ILCS 180/2. Thus, it is important to take action if you feel you’ve lost a loved one wrongfully.
We recommend that you get started as soon as you can, as this can help your legal team build the strongest case possible.
Our Wrongful Death Attorneys Are Here for You in Your Time of Loss
During this difficult time, our experienced and compassionate Chicago wrongful death attorneys will guide you through your options with patience and expertise.
When you have lost a loved one, our lawyers can help you discover whether something was done improperly or whether there was an oversight. If you believe someone’s negligence caused the death of a loved one, contact The Kryder Law Group, LLC.