Accidents involving trucks are some of the most expensive vehicular collisions. Accident & Analysis Prevention reports that the average cost of damages stemming from a collision between a passenger vehicle and a large truck can push upwards of $60,000 and can be considerably higher if additional vehicles were involved. The Illinois Department of Transportation also attests to the danger of large trucks, noting that related accidents cause a disproportionate amount of injuries and fatalities.
If you or a loved one were in an accident involving a truck, then you may have a case for compensation, and multiple parties could be responsible for your losses. Call our team of skilled injury attorneys at the Kryder Law Group, LLC today at for a free consultation and to find out how a Springfield truck accident lawyer can help.
Trucks Pose Greater Danger Than Smaller Vehicles
Due to their weight and size, large trucks generally inflict more damage to the occupants of the smaller vehicle upon colliding. According to the National Safety Council, the number of injuries from large truck-involved crashes has been on the rise since 2009.
At the Kryder Law Group, LLC, we understand that there are many reasons why an accident may occur. Determining these elements is key to assigning liability and moving forward in pursuing compensation. Truck accidents are exceptionally complex. We may be able to find that more than one entity played a role in your collision, including the trucker, their supervising company, and the organization responsible for the truck’s construction.
The Truck Driver Could Be Responsible for Your Injuries
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 94% of accidents are the result of driver error. To cut down on these instances, the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) has implemented Hours of Service Regulations designed to mandate various trucking actions and behaviors. However, not all truckers follow these rules, which increases the likelihood of them causing an accident.
Some of these risks include:
- The frequent long shifts that some drivers undertake, which can lead to increased fatigue and a decline in reflexes
- The use of stimulants or other drugs used to stay awake during long-haul routes
- Inexperience, leading to poor defensive driving reflexes and overall operation
- Speeding, since many drivers are incentivized by “the mile” delivery quotas
The risks that large trucks present to other drivers, passengers, and pedestrians only becomes greater at night and in dangerous driving conditions. If you were the victim of a truck driver’s error, you may be able to collect compensation and a Springfield tractor-trailer crash attorney could help.
Trucking Companies May Take Unacceptable Risks
Some trucking companies are more focused on profits than they are about the safety of other motorists. Should we find that the trucker’s supervisor contributed to your accident, we may be able to hold them responsible. Under the doctrine “respondeat superior,” we have the opportunity to move forward with a civil action against the driver and their supervisor.
Other actions that may result in the trucking company’s liability include:
- Permitting or even encouraging drivers to be on the road for stretches other than those allowed by FMCSA
- Failing to screen drivers for drug or alcohol use upon hiring and at regular intervals, especially if they had reason to do so
- Overloading trucks with excessive cargo, which affects how effectively the truck can come to a complete stop
- Not maintaining a safe fleet of trucks through regular vehicle check-ups and quick action to take an unsafe vehicle off of the road
- Instilling a culture where drivers are encouraged or asked to take unnecessary risks, such as driving in dangerous weather
A Springfield truck crash attorney who has a background in handling these types of cases will be able to provide insight into any negligence in your case that occurred at the company level.
The Truck’s Manufacturer
One of the services that our team provides is consulting with experts to learn more about the specific details of your case. Such an expert may include someone who has professional experience in automotive construction and repair. During a diligent 18-wheeler wreck attorney’s investigation in Springfield, if we find that a defective vehicular component hindered the trucker’s ability to drive safely, then we may be able to pursue this entity for your losses.
For example, if you were rear-ended by a truck, and we discover that the brakes were not properly installed, we may be able to take this route of assigning responsibility.
The Kryder Law Group, LLC Provides Many Services
If you were injured or lost a loved one in an accident involving a large truck, understand that a lawyer can be immensely helpful in helping you pursue financial recovery.
Some of the tasks that a lawyer may handle include:
- Deciding which defendant (or defendants) are responsible for your losses
- Conducting an independent investigation to assign liability and establish negligence
- Consulting with experts, such as mechanics and doctors, to learn more about the elements present in your collision
- Handling your case for compensation from beginning to end — we can even represent you in court in a lawsuit
- Advocating for a fair settlement on your behalf
A lawyer’s job encompasses so many tasks that it is difficult to name them all. The services your legal team will provide will depend on the unique needs of your situation.
Compensation in a Truck Accident Case
If your Springfield semi-truck collision lawyer is successful in proving that you were the victim of negligence, you may be entitled to compensation including (but not limited to):
- Coverage of medical bills related to your accident
- The cost of rehabilitation for mental and physical injuries
- Lost earnings
- Reduced earning capacity
- Childcare costs
- Pain and suffering
If you wish to pursue losses that we have not listed here, you may want to disclose those details with your lawyer.
Get in Touch with a Springfield Truck Accident Attorney to Start Your Claim
If you were injured or lost a loved one in a truck accident, now is the time to reach out for assistance. Call our team at the Kryder Law Group, LLC today for a free consultation in which we will answer any questions that you have. Do not wait to reach out to a Springfield truck accident lawyer, as time may be a factor in your ability to move forward with legal action.