Hospital ratings can help patients and their families make informed decisions about the quality of care they receive. In this series, we have compiled data from the U.S. News & World Report as well as the Illinois Department of Public Health to provide insight into the quality and safety of Elmhurst Memorial (Edward-Elmhurst Health) Hospital.
Edward-Elmhurst Health Overview
Elmhurst Memorial Hospital is a 258-bed nonprofit hospital with campuses in Naperville and Elmhurst. Founded in 1907, it recently merged with Edward Hospital to form Edward-Elmhurst Health. Its current facility was built in 2011. Elmhurst Memorial’s contact information is:
155 E. Brush Hill Road
Elmhurst, IL 60126
U.S. News & World Report Rankings for Edward-Elmhurst Health
According to U.S. News & World Report, Elmhurst Hospital in Elmhurst, IL is rated high performing in 1 adult specialty (Gastroenterology & GI Surgery) and 8 procedures and conditions including colon cancer surgery, heart failure, kidney failure, stroke, hip fracture, hip replacement, knee replacement, and COPD. The patient experience is rated four out of five stars. It is a general medical and surgical facility.
- National Ranking: Unranked
- Illinois Ranking: 19
- Chicago Ranking: 17
IDPH Report Card for Hospitals
The Illinois Department of Public Health (IDPH) grades hospitals on their patient safety, patient satisfaction and quality of care. The Illinois Hospital Report Card and Consumer Guide to Healthcare website provides more information about Elmhurst Memorial Hospital. You can find information about:
- medical and surgical services that may be provided,
- information about patient safety,
- staffing information,
- ratings regarding patient satisfaction and the hospital experience, and
- protection laws concerning Illinois consumers.
CDC Infection Data
The CDC identified the following infections detected at Elmhurst Memorial:
- Two patients suffered a central line associated bloodstream infection in the adult medical/surgical ICU in 2019.
- Five patients suffered a surgical site infection associated with total knee replacement surgery in 2018.
- One patient suffered a surgical site infection associated with coronary artery bypass graft surgery in 2018.
- Twenty patients were diagnosed with clostridium difficile infections in 2019.
Illinois Department of Public Health Patient Safety Info
According to the Illinois Department of Public Health, Elmhurst Memorial patients suffered statistically significantly higher mortality rates due to hip fractures, strokes, and congestive heart failure.
Medical Malpractice Recoveries Against Elmhurst Memorial
Medical malpractice claims provide an accurate reflection of the regard and respect both medical staff and patients have for a hospital. Elmhurst Memorial Hospital has compensated victims of medical malpractice. Records show several notable settlements and verdicts.
- $30 million for surgical errors during kidney removal surgery. After an error in stapling his wounds, the patient suffered severe bleeding and is now paraplegic and on permanent kidney dialysis.
- $7.75 million for failure to treat elevated bilirubin levels in a newborn’s bloodstream. As a result of the delay in treatment, the newborn suffered from developmental delays and spastic quadriplegia.
- $4.25 million for failure to prevent complications in a new mother as she gave birth to her child. As a result, the mother suffered permanent brain injuries.
- $3 million verdict for death of a 52 year old patient due to pulmonary embolism. The patient was in the hospital for routine leg surgery, but his treaters failed to monitor and follow up on treatable complications.
These recoveries represent examples of medical malpractice lawsuits filed against the hospital. If something similar has happened to you or your loved one and you suspect medical negligence, it is important to contact an experienced medical malpractice attorney who can investigate the facts and determine if you have a valid claim.
Other types of medical malpractice and medical errors may include:
- Failure to diagnose
- Birth injuries
- Medication errors
- Botched surgeries
- Medical neglect and misdiagnosis
- Failure to monitor
- Emergency room mistakes
If you suspect medical malpractice, call The Kryder Law Group, LLC Accident and Injury Lawyers today. Our attorneys can review your case to determine if you may have a valid claim. We will seek justice and fair compensation on your behalf for medical bills, pain and suffering, lost wages, and more.
How to Find Out if Your Edward-Elmhurst Health Doctor has been Disciplined in Illinois
The Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulation (IDFPR) has an online database of all the licensed doctors in Illinois. You can use this tool to look up your doctor’s licensing information and see if they have been disciplined in Illinois.
How to Search IDFPR License Info
Search for information by:
- Going to the IDFPR license search
- Select “Medical Board” under the License Type dropdown menu
- Enter your doctor’s first and last name
- Press “Detail” button next to your doctor’s name to see details
Examples of Disciplinary Actions You May Find
If there are disciplinary actions taken against your doctor, it will appear under the Disciplinary Actions section of the search. There are many different types of discipline actions that may appear: a reprimand; probation; suspension; summary or temporary suspension; revocation; refuse to renew; relinquished, surrendered, or permanent inactive; or fines.
More Resources to Research Your Doctor
The American Board of Medical Specialties also has a tool on their website for you to verify a doctor’s credentials.
Contact The Kryder Law Group, LLC Accident and Injury Lawyers
The Kryder Law Group, LLC Accident and Injury Lawyers offers free consultations. Contact us today for more information about Elmhurst Memorial Hospital or any other healthcare facility in the area. We can help you determine if there is a valid legal claim, and seek justice and fair compensation on your behalf.