What Happens if You Get Hurt in a Car Accident with an Unlicensed Driver?

Home » Blog » Car Accidents » What Happens if You Get Hurt in a Car Accident with an Unlicensed Driver?

If you have been injured in a car accident you may need to know what happens if you get hurt in a car accident with an unlicensed driver. You may have the right to seek compensation for the damages you have suffered. This can include reimbursement for medical expenses, lost wages, and the pain and suffering you have endured.

Can I Make an Insurance Claim?

Hear from experienced personal injury lawyer, Andrew Kryder, as he explains your options when you’ve been injured in an accident with an unlicensed driver. He also explains what you can do if you are the unlicensed driver and are hurt in a car crash.

Who Can Be Held Accountable in Car Accidents with Unlicensed Drivers?

Insurance Coverage for Accidents with Unlicensed DriversIf you’ve been injured by an unlicensed driver, it’s important to find out if there is any insurance coverage to compensate you. This might include:

The Driver’s Insurance Policy

The unlicensed driver’s insurer may or may not consider their policy valid if they were driving with a revoked or expired license.

Your Own Uninsured Motorist Coverage (UM) or Underinsured Motorist Coverage (UIM)

If the driver does not have car insurance or if their insurance coverage is not sufficient enough to cover your damages, you might have the option to file a claim with your own insurance company under your uninsured motorist or underinsured motorist coverage.

This is a path for you to potentially recover compensation even if the other insurance companies involved deny coverage when you are hit by an unlicensed driver.

Does Car Insurance Follow the Car or the Driver in Illinois?

In Illinois, the principle of car insurance is that it follows the car itself. This implies that the car owner bears the responsibility of acquiring auto insurance, as it safeguards against any possible claims that may arise from an accident.

In the event that an unlicensed driver operates a vehicle and causes an accident, it is possible that the car owner’s insurance may provide coverage for the damages incurred. However, the extent of coverage is contingent upon the specific circumstances and the policies of the insurance company. It is worth noting that insurance companies tend to lean towards denying coverage for incidents involving an unlicensed driver.

How You Can Pursue Compensation for Your Injuries After Your Unlicensed Driver Car Accident

At The Kryder Law Group, LLC Accident and Injury Lawyers, our team of skilled attorneys is committed to assisting accident victims in seeking the rightful compensation they deserve. Whether or not the other driver possesses a valid driver’s license, we are here to guide you through every step of your case.

From filing an insurance claim against the responsible parties to skillfully negotiating a settlement on your behalf, we provide comprehensive support throughout the entire process.

What To Do After an Accident with an Unlicensed Driver

After an accident involving a driver without a license, ensure your safety first, and then:

  • Contact law enforcement and get an official police report of the accident.
  • Obtain the unlicensed driver’s contact information especially any auto insurance policy associated with the car.
  • Document the accident scene with photos and notes.
  • Seek medical attention immediately for any injuries you might have sustained.
  • Contact a skilled personal injury attorney for legal guidance to seek compensation.

Contact a Car Accident Attorney Today

Our team at The Kryder Law Group, LLC Accident and Injury Lawyers is fully committed to assisting individuals who have been injured in motor vehicle accidents to receive the compensation they rightly deserve. We will thoroughly investigate your case and construct a powerful claim on your behalf.

Free Consultation

Contact us today for a free consultation. Speak with our experienced attorneys to learn more about how we can help you recover financial damages for your injuries.

What Happens if You Get Hurt in a Car Accident with an Unlicensed Driver?
What Happens if You Get Hurt in a Car Accident with an Unlicensed Driver?

Do I have a case?

Get In Touch With Us
The Kryder Law Group, LLC Accident and Injury Lawyers, 134 North LaSalle St. Suite 1515 Chicago, IL 60602
Get Directions
Call us Today
(312) 598-1012

    Phone Number (312) 598-1012
    134 North LaSalle St., Suite 1515
    Chicago, IL 60602 Get Directions

    Settlements & Verdicts

    $7.5 Million Recovered for a Construction Worker Injured on Site
    $3 Million Recovered for the Family of a Person Struck by a Garbage Truck
    $2.2 Million Recovered for a Salesperson Injured in an Automobile Collision
    $2 Million Recovered for a Person Struck by a Speeding Vehicle While Waiting for the CTA Bus
    $1.4 Million Recovered for a Computer Programmer Injured in a Slip and Fall
    Phone (312) 223-1700