According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, distracted driving occurs when a driver does not have their full attention on the road. Regardless of what causes the distraction, distracted driving can be dangerous for everyone on the road. It is one of the leading causes of driving accidents.
If you or a loved one is involved in an auto accident, contact a Bolingbrook distracted driving accident lawyer for legal assistance. Having a lawyer review your case could help you start the process to recover compensation and address any legal problems that arise. Call The Kryder Law Group, LLC, for help handling your distracted driving accident case. The initial consultation is free and you pay nothing unless and until you recover compensation.
Potential Signs Of Distracted Driving
There are many signs of distracted driving you can look for while you are out on the road. Most people experience some form of distracted driving at some point. For everyone who has, these signs may look familiar. While it is possible to not show signs of being distracted, most distracted drivers will display at least a few signs that their mind is somewhere else. Some of the signs to look for include:
- Following too closely: According to the Federal Motor Carrier Administration, a key part of driving safely is maintaining a safe distance between cars. The driver who is following too closely may be too distracted to notice how close he or she is.
- Swerving: Drivers who are distracted often swerve in their lane. Without enough of their attention on the road, distracted drivers may not be focused enough to maintain driving in a straight line.
- Looking down while driving: Drivers who consistently look away from the road may be looking down at their phones or at the infotainment system.
- Missing traffic lights and signals: Distracted drivers often miss changing traffic lights or traffic signs. This makes them seem erratic while driving and can quickly lead to an accident.
There are many other signs of distracted driving not covered on this list. Distracted driving can quickly lead to an accident.
Distracted Driving Causes
The things that distract drivers vary per person and per day. However, there are many things that can cause a distraction while driving. Causes of distracted driving accidents can include:
- Smartphones: smartphones can be a distraction, especially for people who use them to navigate or make phone calls while driving. It is illegal, following Illinois law, to use a cell phone that is not hands-free.
- Stress: stress can keep people from thinking clearly. Drivers who are dealing with a lot of stress may not be focused on the road. This is particularly prevalent when driving home from work since the end of the workday can create a lot of stress.
- Conversations: holding a conversation takes your thoughts off of driving.
- Other drivers: the actions of other drivers can be distracting. Watching other drivers make bad choices can hold your attention.
- Signs/advertisements: signs and advertisements are designed to get your attention and can distract you from driving for a few seconds.
- Radio: listening to the radio can be a distraction if you are heavily invested in what is on. Changing the radio station to find something more interesting can also be distracting.
If you or a loved one is involved in a distracted driving accident, seek legal assistance from a Bolingbrook distracted driving accident lawyer.
Holding Distracted Drivers Accountable
When an accident happens, you can hold a distracted driver accountable. Aside from possible criminal charges, you can file a personal injury lawsuit against the other driver.
Hiring a Bolingbrook distracted driving accident lawyer could help make the process easier. Your lawyer will investigate the case and develop a lawsuit to help you claim compensation based on what happened. There is a chance that you could recover damages, such as:
- Lost wages
- Lost earning capacity
- Medical expenses
- Miscellaneous expenses
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
When our team investigates your case, we will determine a value for your case and fight to get you a fair settlement.
Work With A Bolingbrook Distracted Driving Accident Attorney
Distracted driving is a common problem, but you can recover from it with the right help and support. A Bolingbrook distracted driving accident lawyer can help build a civil case against the other driver and get you the compensation to which you are entitled.
Call The Kryder Law Group, LLC, for legal assistance. Because we work on a contingency-fee-basis, you pay nothing upfront and no attorney’s fees unless we win your case.