If you or a loved one was the victim of a hit and run accident in Bolingbrook, The Kryder Law Group, LLC may be able to help. We can help you identify the liable parties, collect evidence of negligence, and file a lawsuit on your behalf, if necessary.
For your case to be successful, we will need to prove:
- The other driver owed you a duty of care.
- The other driver violated their duty of care.
- As a result of the other driver’s negligence, you were injured.
- You have incurred financial damages as a result of being injured.
Our team works on a contingency-fee-basis, meaning that we do not get paid unless we recover compensation for you. Call the office of a Bolingbrook hit and run accident lawyer at (312) 223-1700. Our team can evaluate your case at no charge.
An Overview of Hit and Run Accidents
Being involved in any accident is frightening and stressful. When the other party flees the scene without helping you or identifying themselves, this can make things even more difficult for you and your loved ones.
Hit and run laws in the United States vary by state.
In Illinois, per 625 ILCS 5/11-402(a), if a driver is involved in an accident that results in injury or death, the law requires them to:
- Remain at the scene. It is the driver’s duty to remain at the scene of the accident, provide the injured party with their contact information, and provide assistance (e.g., call emergency transportation services).
- Report the accident promptly. If the driver leaves the scene for any reason, they still must report the accident in a timely fashion.
- Move their vehicle. If the collision happened in the path of oncoming traffic, both motorists must try to move their cars out of the way, if they are able.
If you were injured by a hit and run driver, you may be entitled to compensation. In Illinois, anyone wanting to sue for damages related to personal injury or wrongful death must do so within two years of the event, per 735 ILCS 5/13-202. The sooner you contact us, the sooner we can get started protecting your legal rights.
Types and Limits of Compensation
The amount of compensation you can receive depends on numerous factors. This section will provide surface-level details about these elements, but remember: The Kryder Law Group, LLC can take care of your legal obligations. If you have any questions about recovering compensation, we encourage you to call our team today.
First, it is important to understand that there are different kinds of losses. The two main ones are economic and noneconomic damages.
Economic damages include monetary expenses or losses incurred as a direct result of the accident, such as:
- Lost wages, which compensates you for your time missed from work
- Repair expenses, if your vehicle was damaged in the accident and needed repairs or replacing
- Medical expenses, if your injuries required (or continues to require) medical treatment
Noneconomic damages may be harder to measure.
They include psychological, physical, or emotional suffering inflicted by the accident, such as:
- Pain and suffering, which compensates you for physical or emotional anguish
- Impaired quality of life, which means that your condition has made it impossible to live your life as before
Another factor that will influence your amount of compensation is Illinois’s comparative liability laws. 735 ILCS 5/2-1116 explains that if someone is found to be partly responsible for an accident, the amount of compensation they can collect decreases. You must be less than 50% or less at fault for the collision to recover damages. Otherwise, you could be barred from recovering compensation.
A Bolingbrook hit and run accident lawyer from The Kryder Law Group, LLC is familiar with state laws and would be happy to navigate them for you. For a free consultation, call (312) 223-1700.
How We Can Help with Your Hit and Run Accident Claim
After being injured in a hit and run accident, you might be feeling overwhelmed, but there is no need for you to go through this challenging time alone.
The Kryder Law Group, LLC can take care of everything, including but not limited to:
- Keeping you up to date. We will provide you with regular phone updates regarding the progress of your case. If at any time you feel the need for a face-to-face update, our team can schedule a time to meet with you.
- Determining who is responsible. We can use eyewitness statements, traffic surveillance footage, and the police report to determine liability for your injuries. From there, we can pursue compensation from the at-fault party’s insurance company.
- Negotiating a settlement. Once we know who is responsible, we can begin negotiations with the liable party’s insurance company to reach a fair settlement. When you work with The Kryder Law Group, LLC, you will not have to speak to the responsible party or their insurance company.
- Representing you in court. In the event that the insurance company fails to offer you a fair settlement, we will file a lawsuit on your behalf and go to court to fight for you.
Your lawyer may be able to provide assistance in ways that we have not included here.
What to Do After a Hit and Run Accident
After being injured in a hit and run accident, the steps you take could influence your case for compensation. First, you should receive medical attention for your injuries. The documents you receive over the course of your treatment (e.g., imaging scans and prescription medications) can be used to connect your injuries to the accident that harmed you.
Secondly, you should refrain from speaking directly to the insurance company. If they ask you to give a recorded statement or try to pressure you into accepting an unfair settlement, refer them to your legal team.
Finally, we recommend keeping all documentation of your expenses in a safe place. For example, if your car needed extensive repairs, you should keep all receipts from the mechanic. Later on, your legal team can use these items to calculate the cost of your collision-related expenses.
Call The Kryder Law Group, LLC Today
If your case has wheels, we can move it. Call us today at (312) 223-1700 for a free consultation. Let a Bolingbrook hit and run accident lawyer from The Kryder Law Group, LLC shoulder your legal burdens and fight for your rights.