Most know the dangers of driving under the influence. Unfortunately, people still choose to put others at risk by driving while intoxicated. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, nearly 30 people die daily from drunk driving accidents. Revealed by the Illinois Department of Transportation is the fact that such accidents can increase in number during popular holidays like Memorial Day or the Fourth of July. If you or a loved one suffered injuries in an accident, you may be entitled to compensation.
While you can handle your case on your own, you may be recovering from serious injuries or the loss of a loved one. Recruit a seasoned auto accident attorney that can help you handle the case. Speak with a Bolingbrook drunk driving accident lawyer with The Kryder Law Group, LLC, to discuss your case and the next steps to take. The initial consultation is free and poses no risk or obligation.
Drunk Driving Injuries
Seeking medical attention is one of the first steps to take after an accident to ensure that everyone has their injuries treated. Injuries that can occur in drunk driving accidents include:
- Bruises: drunk driving that ends in an accident can result in bruises as people inside the car bounce around during the impact. It is also possible to get a serious bruise from the impact of the airbag or items inside the car that move after the impact.
- Cuts: broken glass inside the car can cut passengers if it flies around after breaking loose.
- Broken bones: it is possible to break bones in an accident if the collision breaks the safety cage of the car. The airbag also expands with enough force to break bones if the person in the car is too close to it. If the airbag fails, hitting the inside walls or steering wheel can break bones.
- Concussions: concussions are not uncommon in a serious car accident as head trauma in those accidents can be severe.
- Burns: it is possible to receive burns if the car catches on fire. Seatbelts can also cause friction burns from sliding across exposed skin.
- Road rash: if an accident is severe, the driver can be ejected from the car. If this happens, the driver may receive an injury called road rash, which is a severe friction burn and laceration from sliding across the pavement.
There are many other possible injuries that can be caused by drunk driving accidents. Any injury or accident should be considered serious, and medical attention should be the highest priority after the accident. Once everyone gets the medical attention they need, consider contacting a Bolingbrook drunk driving accident lawyer to help you handle the resulting case.
Potential Recoverable Expenses
If you are not responsible for the accident, then you may be able to recover some of the expenses related to the accident. Some of the types of compensation that you can recover include:
- Medical expenses: any medical expenses that you have because of the accident may be recoverable. Your lawyer will have to prove that those expenses are related to the accident and not to other medical issues. Your lawyer can collect the right paperwork from medical professionals to build a case.
- Property Damage: damage to your car and other personal property because of the accident.
- Pain and suffering: pain and suffering compensation can be awarded based on the judge’s discretion. It is awarded when the at-fault party has done something particularly heinous.
- Lost wages: if you missed work because of the accident, you may be able to recover those lost wages in court. Lost wages compensation is usually when the victim has extensive injuries to put them out of work for a long time or the victim’s car was totaled in the accident so they cannot use it for work.
There are many more types of compensation that you can recover after an accident. Navigating the legal system without help is difficult. You may even be able to get compensation from the dram shop that overserved the drunk driver. Contact a Bolingbrook drunk driving accident lawyer with The Kryder Law Group, LLC, for help handling your drunk driving accident case.
How an Attorney Can Help with Your Case
Building a case for recovering compensation can be difficult in any case. It can be especially so when you are recovering from serious injuries, caring for an injured loved one, or grieving one you lost. Fortunately, you do not need to handle this alone. The team at The Kryder Law Group, LLC, wants to take this burden off your shoulders. When you enlist our help, we can handle the following:
- Gathering evidence
- Building a case
- Handling communication with the other party’s insurer
- Negotiating a settlement
- Taking your case to court, if necessary
You Have a Limited Time to Act
Illinois law gives injured parties only two years to file a lawsuit. If you fail to file within this time limit, you may be unable to recover any amount of compensation.
Discuss What Happened with a Bolingbrook Drunk Driving Accident Attorney
Recovering from a drunk driving accident will almost certainly involve legal processes that can be confusing and difficult to handle alone. Do not try to handle a case on your own. Get help from a Bolingbrook drunk driving accident lawyer who can review your case and guide you through the process.
If you or someone you know suffered injuries in a drunk driving accident, contact The Kryder Law Group, LLC, for legal assistance. Having a lawyer helping you hold the drunk driver liable for your accident can free up the time and energy needed for you to focus on your recovery. Your initial consultation is free and you pay no attorney’s fees unless and until you recover compensation.